Starting a new school is such an exciting time, whether this be starting Nursery, Reception or moving into Year Three (Juniors), but we understand that you may have some worries and concerns. To make the process a little easier we have put together some useful information below to help you get started.
- For more information about how to apply for a Reception place or a junior, transfer CLICK HERE, Derby City Council Admissions
Schools have no part in the admissions process. Please contact admissions at Derby City Council on 01332 6642729 if you have any questions.
How to apply
If your child lives in Derby city and is due to start reception in September 2020 or; they are currently in year 2 at an infant school and will be transferring to junior school in September 2020, you will need to apply for a school place.
You can make an application from 6 November 2019. The closing date for online applications is 15 January 2020. If the closing date has passed, you can still apply however any applications made after the deadline date will be classed as late and will be considered after all on-time applications have been processed. The National Offer Day for all applications is 16 April 2020.
Things to remember when applying for a school place:
- Most schools in Derby city have catchment area criteria. Children living in the catchment area are given a higher priority when places are offered. We recommend that one of the schools on your application is your catchment school.
- Please name up to three infant or primary schools (if applying for a reception place) or up to three junior or primary schools, with a year 3 intake (if you are applying for a year 3 place). This can include schools outside of Derby city.
- For junior transfers, only three schools take in extra pupils - Dale Community Primary School, Hardwick Primary School and St. John Fisher Catholic Voluntary Academy. If any other schools are named as a preference they will be disregarded.
- If you are applying for a place in a Roman Catholic school, you will also need to fill out a supplementary application form.
- For Hackwood Primary School, the school is due to open in September 2019. We are currently awaiting a decision from the Department for Education about who will run it. We expect that once an academy trust has been appointed, parents will apply directly to the school for September 2019 entry and councils will process applications from September 2020.
- The admissions process for children with a Statement of Special Needs or Education, Health and Care Plan is different. More information can be found on our Special education needs assessment page. https://www.derby.gov.uk/education-and-learning/special-education-needs-disabilities/special-educational-needs-assessment/
Nursery (Three Year Old) Admissions
To apply for a 3 year old nursery place please download the waiting list form HERE. Please forward this form to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring in person to the St Chads school office.
All nursery places at St Chads CofE School are part time, 15 hours per week. We are able to offer a morning place 8.45-11.45 in our Foundation Unit. Most children will be offered a place for the September following their 3rd birthday. We try to offer all children a minimum of three terms in nursery.
Following the guidance from our school Nursery Admissions Policy. Places are allocated by:
- Children known by the local authority to have identified additional needs with an Education and Healthcare plan (EHC plan) and whose needs can be best met at the preferred setting.
- Looked after children and children who were looked after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order.
- The child has medical or social grounds (supported by written evidence from a Doctor, Social Worker or Education Welfare Officers) for admittance to the school
- Children whose permanent home address is in the designated area for St Chad’s CofE Nursery and Infant School
- The child lives within catchment and has a sibling who attends St. Chads CofE Nursery and Infant School
- The child does not live within the school catchment area, but has a sibling that currently attends St Chad’s CofE Nursery and Infant School.
- Church School request
- The child does not live within the school catchment area
- Any other child whose parent’s apply for admission
In case of over subscription priority will be given to those children living nearest to school.